All about consent for minors

All about consent for minors

This blog post is about the Consent for an Access to Information and Personal Information Request from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)


Since March 2018 IRCC has made it mandatory to provide consent of both parents for information about a minor child. Previously, only the consent of one parent of a minor child was required, but increasing concerns about illegal immigration, child abduction and abuse, and identity fraud prompted the ATIP Division to review and reconsider its consent policy for ATIP requests for information about a minor child.

The process now requires a requester to include consent from both parents of the child, or they must provide proof that there is only one custodian. This change to the consent form safeguards the disclosure of a minor’s information to a party that should not have access.

The requirement for dual signatures was introduced to ensure that the release of information contained in records does not compromise the safety of the minor and other parties that may be present. This policy also applies to the CBSA consent form.

Who is a minor?

In Canada, the definition of a minor child varies according to province. For example in Ontario the following definitions apply;

Definition of minor child – Person under 18 years

Definition of minor for child protection purposes – “child” means a person under the age of 16

Minor according to IRCC vs CBSA

For Access to Information and Personal Information Requests IRCC considers a minor to be someone under the age of 16. CBSA on the other hand (at the time of this writing) considers a minor to be someone under the age of 18. As a result an applicant 16 and over must personally sign the IRCC consent form. On the other hand an applicant 18 and over can personally sign the CBSA consent form.

This inconsistency between IRCC and CBSA consent policy has been identified to CBSA (since May 2021) but at this time CBSA has not agreed to change it’s consent policy.

Signature requirements for a minor

Information about minors can only be released with the consent of both biological parents. Should a child be under the custody of a single parent or a third party, a valid copy of the custody agreement/ adoption documents is required.

Additional information may also be requested by IRCC or CBSA and to avoid potential processing delays this information can be submitted upfront;

  • A copy of the minor’s birth certificate in English or French. If the birth certificate is in another language, please also provide a certified translation
  • Signed government issued photo identification from both parents, to confirm the names and signatures.

Minors are not required to sign the consent form. Instead, any one parent needs to sign (i.e., a parent’s signature) in the child’s section. Both parents need to complete and sign their respective sections as well. It’s also acceptable to submit separate forms from each parent, listing the minor’s information on each form.

Thank you for reading!
Canada Visa Status - The only way to know the most detailed information of an application is by requesting GCMS Notes. GCMS is the most comprehensive and up-to-date information that can be obtained to understand the status of a visa application or to learn the details about a visa refusal.  It offers far more detail than IRCC’s online system and you can order your GCMS Notes online
Disclaimer - Material contained within this website is intended for informational purposes only and is provided as a service to the Canada visa applicant community. These materials do not, and are not, intended to constitute legal advice.